Newbury is located in the northeastern Massachusetts, 28 miles north of Boston. In 1635, the town was officially settled and fishing became an important industry, as did small-scale shipbuilding, weaving, tanning and shoemaking. Farmers dealt in cattle and sheep. The town set a pattern of diversified industry, producing woolen goods made by the first American-made wool carding machines as well as snuff, chaises and slate.
Later, a cooperage, machine made nail factory and scythe mill were established. After the Civil War, much of the manufacturing died and the town returned to agriculture. By 1905, shoes, milk, poultry and eggs became a significant business. Newbury hosts a number of New England's most important examples of Colonial architecture, one of which is the Tristram Coffin House, built in 1654. The Plum Island section of Newbury is a residential area, much loved by its summer and year-round residents.
In the modern era, Newbury has protected its residential status and farming and industrial activity have disappeared.